Normally, we'd create some crafty intro to lure you in and get your to read this, but this screenshot of Google Analytics should do the trick:
Here are a few key points taken from the graph above:
- In December (the month before WebLift's content marketing services started) ServerPronto had 9,945 sessions from organic searchtraffic.
- ServerPronto had been receiving articles from a freelance writer through elance and posting them on their blog, Server Pronto University.
- In January, ServerPronto began receiving 1 article a week as part of WebLift's content marketing program.
- Just 4 months later, in April, ServerPronto had 19,644 sessions from organic search traffic.
Let's get right to it:
The Content Marketing Program
Our content marketing plan was simple, but highly effective. Every week, we would post an article or edit an older article. We'd follow up by promoting the article on social media. Behind the scenes, we were regularly checking keywords with Google Keyword Planner, Google Analytics, and Google WebMaster Tools. We also analyzed which content was shared most with Buzzsumo.
Since I was writing the content for ServerPronto, I also had to learn about the industry in order to write well-informed articles that would appeal to both regular consumers and experts in the field.
The only time we strayed from that plan was when we delivered a white paper, which was more of a promotional material than a traditional content marketing piece. Still that delivered strong results on Social Media.
The Reasons Behind the Increase in Organic Search Traffic
There were a few key elements that were responsible for growing our client's organic search traffic:
- Because I took the time to learn the industry, I was able to write large and in-depth article which appealed to experts in the industry.
- Some of our strongest performing keywords actually came from Google Webmaster tools. Pedro suggested a few keywords that he had seen on Webmaster tools and while it's not a reliable source for new ideas and keywords it did provide great topics/keywords for about 10 articles.
- Every so often, we would revisit an old article and update it with new information, increased content and more.
We credit much of the success of the program to the updating of older articles. Articles which we updated performed much better than those which were not, and a few articles which we've been regularly updating have turned into very powerful sources of traffic with two gaining close to 6,000 views each.
Maintaining this growth will be easy because since content marketing is a form of flywheel marketing, we will need to put less effort in to achieve the same results. This means that as we continue to put out high quality content we will begin seeing greater and greater results.
Overall, our performance wasn't attributed to some secret formula or anything like that. It worked because we took the time to learn about the client, their product and their industry, we wrote high quality and engaging content, we followed up with social media promotion, and we updated older articles (which Google really, really likes).
One thing to keep in mind is that digital marketing, especially content marketing, is always changing. Even now, we are thinking of new tactics for social media promotion, new ways to find favorable keywords and new ways to format our content.
As we continue into this year, we expect to see even stronger results. Follow us on Facebook to learn about the new techniques we are using and how effective they are!